Ruben van Loon started on 1 October 2009 as a PhD candidate for the subproject 'The regional identity of the New Land: economic opportunities for development for the heritage of town and country'. The central research question of this project is: how can cultural heritage be used to promote national and international tourism?
The subproject studies the behaviour of foreign tourists to the Netherlands and that of Dutch people on holiday in their own country. What role does cultural heritage play when making decisions about a holiday? This includes decisions on destination, spending, activities and group size. In addition to overnight visits, day trips will also be investigated. The role of heritage will be studied on the basis of data on the recreational behaviour of the Dutch. It is important to discover the economic reflection of this form of tourism, both on an urban and a national level.
- Sub-study 3: Destination choice for recreation in the Netherlands
In this sub-study the PhD candidate continued focusing on the relation between tourism and cultural heritage. An analysis of destination choices was carried out based on data from the CVTO (Continual Leisure Research), data from the RCE on the quantity of urban and village views, national monuments and the number of museums, in all Dutch municipalities. Destination choice was studied at the level of the municipality, as was the role of heritage in this decision.
- Sub-study 4: Holiday behaviour within the metropole region of Amsterdam
Van Loon will concentrate on the behaviour of the visitor to the town and surrounding regions. Specific attention will be given to the relation between tourism and cultural heritage.
- Sub-study 5: Analysis of the relation between the amount of shops and cultural heritage
Having data on all shops in the Netherlands makes it possible to investigate the role of heritage in the establishing and disappearing of shops in urban areas.
- Loon, R.R. van (2014). Tourism and the Economic Valuation of Cultural Heritage. VU Vrije Universiteit (Amsterdam: Tinbergen Institute).
- Loon, R.R. van, Gosens, T.C.A.P. & Rouwendal, J. (2014). Cultural heritage and the attractiveness of cities: evidence from recreation trips. Journal of Cultural Economics, 38(3), 253-285. (10.1007/s10824-014-9222-5)
- Loon, R.R. van, Gosens, T.C.A.P. & Rouwendal, J. (2014). Cultural Heritage and the Attractiveness of Cities: Evidence from Recreation Trips. (Preprints, TI Discussion Paper, no 14-049/VIII). Amsterdam: Tinbergen Institute.
- Rouwendal, J. & Loon, R.R. van (2013). Vacation Behaviour: Frequency, Destination Choice and Expenditures. Tourism Economics, 19(5), 1005-1026. (10.5367/te.2013.0333)
- Loon, R.R. van, Rietveld, P. & Brons, M.R.E. (2011). Travel-time reliability impacts on railway passenger demand: a revealed preference analysis. Journal of Transport Geography, 19(4), 917-925. (10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2010.11.009)